The Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club opened in June 1930 as part of the Palos Verdes Project. Noted architect Kirtland Cutter designed this beautiful landmark on the beach in Malaga Cove. In 1939, the newly incorporated City of Palos Verdes Estates assumed ownership from the Palos Verdes Homes Association.
In 1946, a fire destroyed the upper levels of the facility. The damage was left unrepaired and ultimately became a serious safety hazard. In 1965, the Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club was renamed the Roessler Pool in memory of H.F.B Roessler. Mr. Roessler was the City’s first mayor and served the City in this capacity for over 25 years. However, by 1988, the Bathhouse and Beach Club had fallen into disrepair and the City was faced with a critical decision – demolition or renovation of the historic facility. Following the decision of the City Council, a committee was established (composed of Councilmembers and dedicated citizens) to rescue the Roessler Pool and adjacent clubhouse, and a plan was formulated. The Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club Foundation, (a non-profit organization), was formed, founding memberships were sold, and devoted community members put in many hours to restore this significant facility. Much gratitude is owed to those dedicated individuals who had the foresight and determination to bring about the restoration of this magnificent property. The Bathhouse and Beach Club reopened in July 1993 as the Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club. Facilities at the Club include a 5-story clubhouse, competition size 6 lane pool, children’s pool, fitness center. The Club is governed by Officers and a Board of Directors elected from the membership.